KMA1090 Intense Dislikes
Do you have an irrational hatred? Or, maybe not even hatred, because hate is a very strong word. Call it an intense dislike. It could be people chewing with their mouths open, or wearing baseball hats indoors (especially at tables in restaurants). It could be dumbass drivers on the roads, or people who misuse the word ‘like’ when speaking.
Well, I have an intense dislike of all of those things listed above. You may agree or not, and you might have your own to add to that list. But I think it’s safe to say there’s got to be something that really gets on yer tits.
Probably my most intense dislikes are music-related. Of course they are, I am wired to think about music all the time. And there are some things I just cannot stand. I tell you these things now with the trust that you may laugh at me and say WTF, but that you won’t abuse this knowledge. *
So why am I even posting this? Because it will probably generate conversation and debate. That’s a good thing!
Here is a list of 5 things that are Kryptonite to me:
1) Anybody singing Behind Blue Eyes. Yes, even The Who’s version. But especially Limp Bizkit’s horrendous butchery of an already bad song. Sorry, I just don’t like this tune at all, in any version. All deference, I know many love it.
2) Adam Ant – Goody Two Shoes. So fucking bad. What a brutally bad song. [James! Knock it off!]
3) Sloan – The Other Man. Yes, one of my favourite bands makes this list. I just do not like this song. It was ill-advised, and it just grates on my nerves. When James and I went to see them play in Saskatoon, we were right down front at the barrier and when the band launched into this song James elbowed me and gave me the biggest “haha here’s your favourite song of theirs!” look.
4) Anything by Simon and Garfunkel. It’s a long-standing dislike, which I don’t even think I could explain to you anymore, at this point. I just spend my time avoiding songs by these people, these days.
5) Anyone other than Leonard Cohen singing Hallelujah. Seriously, everyone. Leave the song alone. Enough is enough. Fuck off. Especially you, k.d. lang, leave it alone. You all miss the sex and humour in the song, and you turn it into some sort of painful dirge (which it is not). Only Leonard gave it the sly wink, and sang it properly.
Well then. How many times, reading this, did you say WTF? Haha well, I did say these were irrational dislikes, my own personal opinions. I have many more, but these are the ones that came to mind as some of my strongest dislikes.
How about you? Do you have songs or artists that really grind your gears? Drop a comment below. I’m curious to hear what other people say about things that really bug them, in music.
* Please note: This is not an invitation to mock me, or send me MP3 files of these things. I will just delete them. Even sending me lyrics from a particular song below (James, I’m looking at you) is not required – you’ve done so many times in the past already. Thanks!