I have lived in Regina for 11 years, and yet, there are lots of Regina things that I’ve never done or have only recently done. I’ve never been to the RCMP museum. I’ve never gone to see the local indie pro wrestling group, even when they bring in old stars from when I was a kid. It took me 9 years to get ice cream from the Milky Way (so so good). I haven’t been to Mosaic since I moved here. And yesterday was the first time I’d managed to make it to the CJTR garage sale.
CJTR is the local community radio station and once a year, as a fundraiser, they collect used CDs, records, instruments, stereos, and whatever else and they sell it off. This seems like it would be right up my alley but I had never gone. I am now very sad that I had never gone, because it was GREAT. Super super great.
To put it in perspective, I was there for two hours, I bought 20* CDs, I spent $50 even (CDs were 4 for $10! so great), and I didn’t even start looking at the vinyl. I just tapped out. I was very sad Aaron wasn’t be there. He’d have loved it. I was also very glad that he wasn’t there as we’d have had to drag him out kicking and screaming at 5:00 p.m. and I had stuff to do in the afternoon.
*By 20 I apparently mean 19? I thought I had 20, and they counted 20, and charged me for 20, but I only have 19 here. And I took a picture of the stack and sent it to Aaron as soon as I got home, and there were only 19 there. Whatever. Still a deal. They can have the extra $2.50 as my contribution towards the excellence of the day.
- Barenaked Ladies – Snacktime!
- The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds
- Big Shiny Tunes 5, 6, 7, and 8
- City and Colour – Little Hell
- City and Colour – The Hurry and the Harm
- I’m Your Fan: The Songs of Leonard Cohen
- Kathleen Edwards – Asking for Flowers
- Marcy Playground – Lunch, Recess & Detention
- Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
- Space – B-Sides
- Stone Temple Pilots – Tiny Music… Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop
- Strong Bad Sings and Other Type Hits
- Sufjan Stevens – Illinois
- The Vestibules – Get Spiffy!
- two CDs that are to be given away as gifts (to someone who likely doesn’t read here, but still)
- Hawksley Workman – Old Cheetah
- This one arrived in the mail on the day before the sale, but I’ll include it here to bring the tally back up to an even 20.
A nice mix of obvious classics and obvious garbage and everything in between. I would explain why I bought each record, but… here’s the thing. I have a bad habit of buying mountains of music and never listening to so much of it, so I am not allowed to buy any more new music** until such time as all 18 of these non-gift albums have been reviewed here on the KMA. Yes. So I’m gonna save my words for then.
**I intend to make an exception, if required, for the new Ben Folds. I can only be so strict with myself. Willpower is a limited resource.