Top 15 On The 15th
First off, here are everyone else’s excellent lists (I’ll add more as they come in). Go check them out!
And now here is my post:
You want me to pick 15 All-Time Albums out of the thousands I know and love? Are you INSANE?
You are. I know you are. I can see it in your eyes.*
For this impossible exercise, I’ve thought of (and tried) many approaches, including:
1) Which 15 records would I grab if the house caught fire? Well… James and I discovered, through conversation, that my inability to decisively choose would cause me to die (horribly) in the fire, standing in front of my CD shelves…
2) If I went to a deserted island which 15 records would I take? Forget the records… more important here is why would I choose to go to a deserted island? Or if it wasn’t a choice, what poor life choice have I made that led me to this island? Besides which, would a deserted island even have power? How would I play my 15 records, and on what stereo? If it’s an iPod, mine holds 120GB, waaaaaay more than 15 albums, and how would I charge it (see above comment about power)? And if I am there by choice, wouldn’t I choose to take a bag of survival gear, a fishing rod, a desalinator, and as much fresh water as I could carry, not records? And… you can see how this spiralled into avoiding answering the question at all…. Man, fuck that island.
3) Off the top of my head, just the first 15 best albums I own that I could think of… Hahaha like I stopped at 15. You can see the obvious limitations of this one….
4) Maybe I could cheat and do multiple lists! Like Top 15 Canadian Albums, Top 15 Metal Albums, and so on through jazz, blues, rock, punk, all the decades (40s, 50s, 60s etc)… That way lies endless list-making… not really possible to make one list from it, unless I made 15 different category lists, and took the #1 from each into one master list… gah.
5) Maybe I could do Top 15 Albums That Meant Something To Me At Some Time In My Life… this is a fun idea as I often associate people, places and events with songs/albums, but those aren’t necessarily my all-time favourite 15…
6) I contemplated buying 15 darts, pasting pics of all the albums I love on a wall in the basement, blindfolding myself and then throwing all 15 darts. Maybe all at once (7 in one hand, 8 in the other). Just GO! And whatever they hit, that’s my list. Alternately, I considered getting a bunch of recipe cards, putting an album on each one, and then chucking the whole pile down the stairs. Whichever 15 stayed closest to the top of the stairs would be my list’s 15. And so on.
7) Finally, I did what I should have done in the beginning. I cornered my lovely wife and asked her which records I’ve blathered about the most. You have to be made aware, we’ve been friends since we were 5 years old (in the same kindergarten class). We went all the way through school together, from kindergarten to end of high school. We’ve been friends (pretty well) our whole lives, always in the same circles. We’ve been together since 1998, and married since 2003. Through her Stockholm Syndrome (established over 17 years of living with me) when it comes to all the years of knowing my love of music, and (since we began dating) my record collection, I thought she would be the most likely to have some insights. And she did – her answers have weighed in heavily in the list below. Thank you sweetheart, I could not have given this list any sort of shape without you. I do not deserve your patience and understanding of your blithering hubby.
So here it is, and even at that these are not in any real order, and they’re without explanation. As I said to J., if I started saying why each record was here, I’d start second-guessing again and I’d never get this damn thing done. If there’s any you don’t know by sight, just hover your mouse over the album art – it’ll tell you what it is…
AARON’S TOP 15 ON THE 15TH
* Haha wasn’t I part of getting this started? So I’M the one who’s insane, right? Right.